Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Letter from LHB Director

Dear LHB - 

Being Director of the Longhorn Band for the past 13 years has offered me some of my most prized professional memories and all of them involve having had the privilege of interacting with the best and brightest students on our campus - you!  The Longhorn Band family, past and present, has always been made up of students and you, all of you, mean so much to me that it is impossible to put into words!  By now, I’m sure you’ve ascertained that I am about to announce my departure from UT and it is with extremely mixed emotions that I do so.  

As of this summer, I will be leaving The University of Texas to take a position as Director of Wind Band Activities, Conductor of the Wind Ensemble and Professor of Conducting in the Frost School of Music at the University of Miami (located in Coral Gables, Florida).   I knew upon my arrival at UT back in 2002 that I would never leave this place to take another similar positions, because, in all honesty, there is nowhere else on planet Earth that I would want to do what I do here.  At Miami my focus will rest solely with the concert/musical side of the profession which, in addition to being artistically rewarding, will offer me the opportunity to be more a part of the lives of my own (biological) kids.  There is NO doubt that I will miss this place but, more importantly, I will miss you - the people who make it so great!

Now, regardless of your reaction to this news, I’m certain that all of you are very curious about what the future will bring to this prized organization that is LHB. Professor Junkin will be on hand to tell you about the upcoming search for the next Director of the Longhorn Band that will kickoff immediately and I would love to see you all there and express my thanks personally!

Thank you for all you’ve done and will continue to do for UT and LHB!

Sincerely - 
Dr. Carnochan 

Robert M Carnochan, D.M.A.
Director | Longhorn Band | 512.471.4093
Conductor | UT Wind Symphony
Associate Director | University Bands
Associate Professor | Butler School of Music
1 University Station E3102 Austin TX 78712

No comments:

Post a Comment